Wednesday 4 May 2016

sweeney todd context

Sweeney todd : the demon barber of fleet Street is a play about a barber who indulges his murderous rage and kills important figures he associates with the " death " of his wife. Using these dead bodies his tenant mate Ms Lovett makes the best pies in London.

The style is naturalistic , the form is musical  ( this will be changed for my performance as we are focusing on a spoken monologue. ) The genre is gothic horror.

The significant relationships that my character in the play has is with Ms Lovett who is essentially in love with him whilst Sweeney is in love with his razors. They work together and kill people hence their close yet distant relationship as Sweeney ignores her requests of love and admiration.

The one secret that nobody knows about me is that I am Benjamin Barker but under the new alias and look of Sweeney Todd.

My characters aim in the play is to avenge his wife and fullfil his desire to kill which he enjoys.

My character displays a range of emotion from angry in the beginning of the monologue to emotionless at the end of the monologue as he ignores ms Lovett.

I want the audience to witness the downward spiral of his mentality as he descends further into the abyss of madness

In order to bring out the essence of my character I have used method acting to increase my accent as it helps portray a Victorian londoner. Another strategy I used to improve this accent was tongue twisters as they help me focus on specific sounds and letters and then attribute them to my characters accent.

No comments:

Post a Comment